Whether I hold students for 5 minutes, or 35 minutes, these are the activities I use to make use of every minute of the school day (and prevent total chaos!). Students sit at their assigned places on the floor around the room and complete the following activities. I rotate the popular choices on a daily basis (see schedule below) and offer choices for others:
- Books on MP3/tape
- Flash cards/Word Sorts
- Flip book content questions (and Brain Quest)
- AR/Fast Math
- Educational Video on ActivBoard
- Shurley English dry erase sheets
- Buddy Book Reading Contest: Track student pairs that read the most over the course of the week. Keep their books separate and in the classroom in plastic bags.
- Literacy Games (File folder, Scrabble, 20 Questions)
I keep track of the 2 best behaved groups (through daily points) for Computer and AB slots on Friday.